University of Connecticut University of UC Title Fallback Connecticut

Frequently Asked Questions


Yes. If a Gen Ed course is also a required pre-requisite for the major, or if it is listed as an upper level course for the major or minor, it will meet both requirements.

The process for dropping a course depends upon when a student decides to drop. Check the current Academic Calendar for important deadlines. During the first two weeks of fall and spring semesters (The ADD/DROP period), students drop courses online through the Student Administration System. After ADD/DROP ends, students are able to drop a course for the next seven weeks, but only with appropriate signatures. Students must do three things: pick up a Schedule Revision form in the Registrar’s Office, obtain a signature from their advisor, and submit the completed Schedule Revision form to the Registrar’s Office. After the ninth week of the semester, students may not drop a course. If there are extenuating circumstances, students may submit a Late Drop Request to Interim Dean Carolyn Ginsberg in Student Services, with appropriate documentation of their situation.

Students’ academic advisors are assigned after the fourth week of classes. Students who were admitted directly into their major will be assigned a Faculty advisor. Students who are in the ACES program will be assigned to an ACES advisor.Students should check their Student Center on PeopleSoft for their advisor’s name and phone number.
Students may change their advisor at any time, as long as there is another advisor available in their academic department. In order to change advisors, students must complete the appropriate form and must have the signature of their new advisor. Advisor change forms are available in the Registrar’s Office.
Students are encouraged to apply for a major as soon as they make an informed decision of their academic and/or career interests. This can be done as soon as the end of the first semester, but it should be done by the end of the sophomore year. To apply for a major, email one of the professional advisors in the Advising Center to discuss your decision and the application process. After a student is accepted into a major they are assigned to a faculty advisor in the major. Please note that with some majors, it is important to begin taking specific courses immediately as preparation for upper-level courses.
When reviewing the General Education Requirements, students are encouraged to explore areas of interest by taking introductory courses in a discipline. UConn Stamford’s Career Center has links to great online Student Resources, including “What Can I Do With This Major?” Students can also make appointments in the Career Center to meet with a career counselor and to take an interest assessment.
Yes, but certain factors need to be taken into consideration. Only courses receiving a grade of “C” or better can be transferred to UConn for credit. Grades from another school will usually not affect the UConn GPA (only the credits transfer, not the grade). Students must have an official transcript sent to the UConn Admissions Office upon completion of the class.
The Class Schedule must list the course with a “W” in order for it to qualify as a “W” course and fulfill the Gen Ed Requirement.
When a student repeats a course only the most recent grade counts toward calculating the GPA- both the cumulative GPA and the major GPA calculations. The previous grade remains on the student’s transcript, since that grade is a true reflection of the student’s performance during that term. However, the last grade is the only one used to calculate the GPA. NOTE: This is true even when a student repeats a course that has been passed, and receives a lower grade the second time (and if the most recent grade is an “F,” credits earned previously are taken away).